• I got my driver’s license back.


    "I personally recommend Mr. Callahan to anyone who needs help getting full reinstatement."

    View All
  • Out of State License Reinstated!


    "From the first moment we contacted John Callahan we felt comfortable in our decision of retaining him for our case."

    View All
  • DUI License Revocation


    "Mr. Callahan went above and beyond to help me with my case."

    View All
  • Full Reinstatement!


    "Thank you again to John and his staff!"

    View All
Contact John W. Callahan to get your Illinois driver’s
license reinstated now: 1-877-469-4535

License Reinstatement

How we can reinstate your Illinois driver’s license.


Out of State Revocation

If you live outside of Illinois, we can clear your license.


Successful Cases

Take a look at a sample of our great results.



Illinois license reinstatement questions.


What is a Monitoring Device Driving Permit?

Posted by John Callahan | Jun 27, 2016 | 0 Comments

Sometimes clients will contact me after they receive an application in the mail for something called a Monitoring Device Driving Permit and want to know what the application is for and what they have to do to get one.

A Monitoring Device Driving Permit (MDDP) is a form of relief for those who have a suspended license. With a MDDP, you are allowed to operate motor vehicles for the entirety of your suspension and for any purpose as long as a Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device (BAIID) is installed in that vehicle. MDDPs are available only to first-time offenders, a first-time offender being a person who has not received DUI suspension or finding of guilty of DUI in the past five years. Even if you would otherwise qualify for a MDDP, you are ineligible for one if you are under the age of 18, if your driver's license is otherwise invalid, if death or great bodily harm resulted from a DUI arrest, or if you have been previously convicted of homicide or aggravated DUI that resulted in death.

In order to operate a vehicle with a BAIID installed, you must blow into the BAIID so that it can read your blood alcohol content (BAC). If the BAIID determines that you are not impaired, the BAIID, which is connected to the vehicle's ignition system, will start the vehicle. You will also be required to re-blow into the BAIID at random intervals while operating the vehicle. You will have to bring the vehicle to the installer of the BAIDD every thirty to sixty days so that the company can read the device and send the information to the Illinois Secretary of State. The BAIID will alert the Secretary of State's office if you had attempted to drive under the influence or if you tampered with the BAIID.

If you are eligible for a MDDP, you will receive in the mail from the Illinois Secretary of State an application for a MDDP. Upon completion and submission of the application, you will then have to pay an administrative fee of approximately $30 a month up front. This means that, for example, if you are suspended for six months, you will have to pay an administrative fee of $180 up front. You will then bring your vehicle to an Illinois-certified BAIID installation company and pay an installation fee of approximately $85 in order to have the device installed. You will also be required to pay an additional fee, approximately $75 per month, for rental of the BAIID device. As already stated, you will have to bring in the vehicle with the BAIID device to the installer once every thirty to sixty days, and you are also required to keep a journal detailing all unsuccessful starting attempts, failures to complete a successful running test, any problems with the device, and the name of the driver for each of the above.

If you are facing a suspension and are seeking relief, contact the attorneys at John W. Callahan for legal advice on how to get you back on the road.

–Posted by John W. Callahan, license reinstatement attorney

About the Author

John Callahan

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. You may also never get a second chance to preserve your freedom if faced with criminal or DUI charges. If you are currently facing criminal charges, contact the law offices of John W. Callahan to protect you, your rights and your freedom. ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment