• I got my driver’s license back.


    "I personally recommend Mr. Callahan to anyone who needs help getting full reinstatement."

    View All
  • Out of State License Reinstated!


    "From the first moment we contacted John Callahan we felt comfortable in our decision of retaining him for our case."

    View All
  • DUI License Revocation


    "Mr. Callahan went above and beyond to help me with my case."

    View All
  • Full Reinstatement!


    "Thank you again to John and his staff!"

    View All
Contact John W. Callahan to get your Illinois driver’s
license reinstated now: 1-877-469-4535

License Reinstatement

How we can reinstate your Illinois driver’s license.


Out of State Revocation

If you live outside of Illinois, we can clear your license.


Successful Cases

Take a look at a sample of our great results.



Illinois license reinstatement questions.


Can I lose my license for not paying child support? 

Posted by John Callahan | Apr 05, 2019 | 0 Comments

Deadbeats Don't Drive

Yes. In Illinois, the Family Financial Responsibility Act, allows Illinois courts and the Secretary of State's office to take strong action against parents that fall more than three months (90 days) behind in making court-ordered child-support payments could face the loss of his or her driving privileges.

The Illinois Family Financial Responsibility Law outlines two systems for driver's license suspensions for those owing child support:

Court Ordered Suspension - A circuit court may invoke the law any time a judge rules that a parent is at least 90 days behind on child support payments. The court notifies the Secretary of State's office that the parent is in contempt of court for failure to pay child support. The Record of Non-Payment of Court Ordered Child Support Family Responsibility Law is completed, certified by the court and submitted to the Secretary of State's office which results in the pending suspension being loaded onto the driving record.

DHFS Ordered Suspension - The law gives authority to the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services to request that the Secretary of State's office suspend the driver's license of a parent who is 90 days or more delinquent in child support payments. DHFS reports cases of individuals who are 90 days or more in arrears in child support payments directly to the Secretary of State's office.

How can I get I get it reinstated?

The Secretary of State's office notifies the driver that a license suspension will become effective in 60 days. The suspension can be avoided if the Secretary of State's office is notified that the parent has met the court's requirements. If the suspension is ordered by DHFS, the suspension can be avoided if the Secretary of State's office is notified by DHFS that the parent has met their child support obligations.

Once the individual has complied with the child support obligations, the court will submit the Compliance of Family Financial Responsibility Law to the Secretary of State's office.

The parent also may request an administrative hearing with the Secretary of State's office during the 60-day period following notification.

A delinquent parent's driver's license will remain suspended until the Secretary of State's office receives notice from the court that the parent is in compliance with the court order of support.

About the Author

John Callahan

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. You may also never get a second chance to preserve your freedom if faced with criminal or DUI charges. If you are currently facing criminal charges, contact the law offices of John W. Callahan to protect you, your rights and your freedom. ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment