• I got my driver’s license back.


    "I personally recommend Mr. Callahan to anyone who needs help getting full reinstatement."

    View All
  • Out of State License Reinstated!


    "From the first moment we contacted John Callahan we felt comfortable in our decision of retaining him for our case."

    View All
  • DUI License Revocation


    "Mr. Callahan went above and beyond to help me with my case."

    View All
  • Full Reinstatement!


    "Thank you again to John and his staff!"

    View All
Contact John W. Callahan to get your Illinois driver’s
license reinstated now: 1-877-469-4535

License Reinstatement

How we can reinstate your Illinois driver’s license.


Out of State Revocation

If you live outside of Illinois, we can clear your license.


Successful Cases

Take a look at a sample of our great results.



Illinois license reinstatement questions.


Can I get my license reinstated without going to court?

Posted by John Callahan | Aug 26, 2018 | 0 Comments

If your Illinois Driver's License is revoked due to a DUI Conviction and that conviction cannot be overturned, the answer is NO. In Illinois, in order to get your license reinstated you will need to have a administrative hearing with the Illinois Secretary of State's office. There are two types of hearings: informal and formal. Less serious offenses and number of DUI arrests only may require an informal hearing, whereas more serious offenses require a formal hearing.

Informal Hearing

In order to have an informal hearing, you will need to discuss your case with a SOS hearing officer. Informal hearings are offered for minor moving violations, first time DUI convictions and violations that did not have a fatality. As a result of the hearing, you may obtain a restricted driver's permit, or have your license reinstated. The good news about an informal hearing is that there is no Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device requirement so if you are eligible for an informal hearing, you are not a BAIID mandatory candidate.

Formal Hearing

If your offense involved: (1) a fatality, or (2) if you have multiple DUI convictions, then you will have to attend a formal hearing. In order to get a formal hearing, you must mail in the appropriate form, a Formal Hearing Request, with a fee. You will receive a formal hearing date in the mail. Depending on the result of the hearing, you may obtain a restricted driver's permit, have your license reinstated, or receive a denial of reinstatement.

The hearing isn't the final step. Once you receive notice that you can have your driver's license reinstated, you still must show proof of insurance and pay appropriate fees. If having a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID) installed in your car is a part of the requirements, then you must show proof that it is installed in your car.

Reinstating your driver's license is a lengthy and complicated process. It is not guaranteed your license will be reinstated. Having an experienced attorney on your side can help tremendously. Attorney John Callahan has handled hundreds of license reinstatement cases. The first step in getting back on the road is calling the law offices of John Callahan.

About the Author

John Callahan

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. You may also never get a second chance to preserve your freedom if faced with criminal or DUI charges. If you are currently facing criminal charges, contact the law offices of John W. Callahan to protect you, your rights and your freedom. ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment